When you’re a woman in a man’s world, it can be hard to gain respect and build a successful business. Whether you’re a career woman in the corporate world or a stay-at-home mom, there always seems to be a gender gap.
But with a little hard work and believing in yourself, you can survive and thrive as a successful female entrepreneur. Below are 4 qualities you need to possess to make it.
1. Believe in yourself and your mission
This is one of the most important qualities for a woman in business to gain. You need to have confidence in yourself and in your business, whether it’s a fantastic product or an excellent service.
Once you believe in yourself and your mission, other people will be positively impacted by your passion.
How to build up your confidence:
- Choose work that inspires you
- Turn your passion or hobby into a career
- Find another successful businesswoman who inspires you
- Don’t do it for the money
- Know your worth
Every female entrepreneur has something to offer and should be paid accordingly. Don’t sell yourself or your business short by cutting corners, which includes asking to be paid what you’re skills are worth.
2. Cultivate your marketable skills
Women in general have lots of marketable business skills, like communication skills, management skills, social skills and the list goes on. Spend a little time to cultivate your skills and learn to make some serious money with them.
How to increase your skills:
- Take an online class or a course at your local college
- Read books or blogs within your field, and take notes from their experience
- Mentor, teach or tutor others (nothing makes you an expert like teaching)
Once you believe in yourself and your mission, the increase in skills will easily follow. Experiment within your area of expertise by opening an Etsy shop, Amazon store or rent a booth at your local trade show.
3. Manage your time effectively
We are constantly juggling family responsibilities, household chores, long check lists and financial decisions on a daily basis. When it comes to managing multiple projects, women are some of the best people for the job. Some of us like to use the latest apps or technology to increase productivity, while others enjoy the old fashion paper to-do list.
How to manage your time better:
- Simplify multi-tasking by focusing on one thing at a time
- Divide your work into categories, like urgent/now, current, weekly and monthly
- Write. It. Down. and take lots of notes
- Set an alarm or reminder just in case
Ladies let’s face it, we all think we’ll remember everything, but that’s one of our biggest mistakes. We take on too much, we rely on our (already overloaded) minds and don’t set enough reminders.
Your brain will be so much more clear and organized once you write everything down, and get it out of your head.
4. Prepare your mindset
Working as an entrepreneur has it’s hardships, but add in being a female and it can become even more difficult. One of the best ways to combat this, is to prepare your attitude and mindset before you begin.
Respect yourself and others will do the same. Know your worth and other people will see it too. Be positive in your thinking and don’t let your mind belittle your skills and talents.
You can do this!
How to stay positive:
- Join like-minded groups or small networks
- If you’re unhappy or don’t like something – change it (don’t settle)
- Create a stable support system with friends and family
While learning to survive and thrive in the business world, you need to know it won’t be easy. But when you pour your heart and soul into a business it can be very rewarding. No matter what, it’s imperative to believe in yourself, your mission and your skills.
You don’t have to have a master of science in management to start your own business, but the knowledge gained could certainly help in the decision making along the way.
What are your tips for making it as a female entrepreneur?