Right near Raleigh and one of the largest cities in North Carolina in its own right, Cary is a beautiful place to live and a great place to not only settle down but build a business. And with a growing economy, we’re certain that there are many successful individuals and families who are looking for the next step forward. To help with that, we recommend most people at least consider the services of a financial advisor or investment manager to take the burden off their shoulders.
Yet which firm is best for your needs? There are quite a few to choose from, so here are our top five choices for financial advisory firms for Cary, North Carolina:
1) Financial Symmetry, Inc.
Our top choice for Cary, North Carolina is the Raleigh-based firm Financial Symmetry Inc., which has $358 million in assets under its management. Founded in 2001 with about eight advisors under their employ, the firm remains vigilant in its planning and will regularly keep up with clients to help them stay informed.
When it comes to investing, the firm mostly uses mutual funds for its clients. They regularly check their investment strategy to make sure it is in line with the market at large and will adjust as needed.
Financial Symmetry, Inc. is a fee-only firm which does not have a minimum account requirement but does have a minimum annual fee of $3,000. We would only recommend this firm if you have more than $300,000 to invest.
You can expect the following working with Financial Symmetry, Inc.:
- A relatively flexible service plan, so you can get the advice you need it when you need it instead of services you can’t really use.
- Thorough planning regarding your taxes and minimizing your tax burden.
- The ability to provide 401(k) planning services for small businesses, should you happen to own one.
2) Cook Wealth Management Group, LLC
Our second choice, Cook Wealth Management Group, LLC, has $325 million in assets under management. Founded in Raleigh in the year 2004, they seek to build long-term partnerships with their clients. While they don’t have too many advisors on staff, they have proven more than capable of handling financial problems and goals brought to them by clients of all types.
They work with money managers who have been historically successful, and carefully will customize your portfolio based on your goals and how the market is changing over time.
Cook Wealth Management Group, LLC is a fee-based firm that does not have any minimum asset or account requirements (or other minimums), but we do recommend you check their fee structure to make sure they can be an acceptable fit.
You can expect the following working with Cook Wealth Management Group, LLC:
- Main services offered include comprehensive financial planning, asset management, and tax planning.
- They take a holistic approach to providing advice and suggestions to clients, in order to make sure you’re leading a balanced financial life.
- They seek to educate their clients as well as advise them.
3) Capital Investment Counsel
Our third choice for Cary is another firm from Raleigh, Capital Investment Counsel, which has $312 million in assets under their management. Founded in 1984, their half-a-dozen advisors have decades of experience and is one of the most capable teams in the area. If you’re looking for a more personalized financial planning experience than what you might find elsewhere, this is the firm that’s likely right for you.
Their investment strategy mostly revolves around trying to find the best possible (and highly stable) companies to invest in, while also seeking to minimize your tax and fee burden where possible.
Capital Investment Counsel is a fee-based firm that requires that you have $100,000 in investible assets to work with them.
You can expect the following working with Capital Investment Counsel:
- The use of a customized portfolio that will meet your needs.
- A great deal of attention placed on risk and risk management.
- A long-term focus so you can more easily focus on retirement or generational wealth.
4) Armor Investment Advisors, LLC
Another Raleigh firm that takes our number four spot, Armor Investment Advisors, LLC was founded in 2005 and has about $226 million in assets under management. A firm that seeks to carefully and methodically help you reach your goals, they often work with business owners, people seeking a plan for retirement, people who are earning a lot but don’t necessarily have a high net worth yet, and new wealth.
They will select and adjust a plan for clients based on their goals and needs, and as such we have little to say about a general strategy they might have.
Armor Investment Advisors, LLC is a fee-based firm that doesn’t have a minimum account requirement but does have a minimum quarterly fee of $1,200. We only recommend this firm if you have $500,000 or more to invest.
You can expect the following working with Armor Investment Advisors, LLC:
- A team-based approach to providing investment and financial advice.
- Insurance need evaluation services, but it should be noted that they do not sell insurance.
- Estate planning services if you are interested.
5) Townsend Asset Management Corp.
Rounding out our list for Cary is Townsend Asset Management Corp., a relatively smaller firm when compared to the others as it only has about $210 million in assets under management. Founded in 1982, the firm serves a mixture of individuals and some organizations and will create a custom plan just for you that will help you achieve the financial life you’re looking for.
Townsend Asset Management Corp. uses a variety of asset types and will take the time to get to know you in order to determine the type of portfolio and management style that would be best for you.
Townend Asset Management Corp. is a fee-only firm that does not have account minimum requirements, but as with all firms we recommend checking as to their fee structure.
You can expect the following working with Townsend Asset Management Corp:
- Main services offered include tax planning and preparation, financial planning (which umbrellas many other services), investment management, and various consulting services.
- Active and regular maintenance and management of your portfolio, so it will adapt to changing markets.
- A sizable collection of helpful resources and tools with which to better educate yourself regarding the financial world.
There are many avenues towards wealth and happiness in Cary, but it’s also important that you protect what you have and make excellent financial choices along the way. A financial advisor or investment manager from one of the firms listed above could truly change the trajectory of your financial future and keep your family comfortable for generations to come. This is an important choice, so we ask that you take your time, ask questions of the above firms, and then partner with what you know will be the best group for your needs.