On the border of Missouri and near Kansas City, Overland Park is especially noted as a great place to raise a family and a great place to live if you’re a working professional. A growing community, many successful people make their way to Overland Park and find exactly what they’re looking for. Yet we also don’t think they’re looking for the burden of having to endlessly manage their assets to maximize returns, which is why we often recommend the services of a financial advisor or investment manager. They can help keep things easy for you.
There are many excellent options in the area, yet not all of them will be for you. To help you narrow down your options and make the right decision, here are our top five choices for financial advisory firms for Overland Park, Kansas:
1) Mariner Wealth Advisors
Our top choice for Overland Park is Mariner Wealth Advisors, a truly massive firm and outlier for the region which was founded in 2006 and has $22 billion in assets under management. With about 260 advisors under their employ, many of whom have top certifications in different specializations. With all these resources, they are able to serve all types of clients with nearly any need, allowing us to recommend them to just about anyone reading this.
As they have so many advisors under their employ and such a diverse clientele in terms of needs, they have few unifying investment principles outside of listening to the needs of the client and working with them to meet their goals.
Mariner Wealth Advisors is a fee-based firm that has different minimum investment requirements depending on the services you are looking for.
You can expect the following working with Mariner Wealth Advisors:
- Offices in many other cities, allowing you to keep working with them even if you were to move.
- Additional services for organizations, should you be in a position of responsibility.
- Service packages and programs designed to help such groups as pilots, professional athletes, business owners, and others.
2) Meritage Portfolio Management
Our next choice is Meritage Portfolio Management, a firm with $1.5 billion in assets under management that generally works with high net-worth individuals, so if you’re worried that Mariner Wealth Advisors isn’t focused enough, this can be a great choice. With more than a quarter-century of experience, you can rely on them to pick the best strategy and increase your family’s financial security.
They have a set of different strategies clients can choose from, varying in level of risk-aversion and relative expected return. You can discuss your options with your advisor to determine which plan might be best for you
Meritage Portfolio Management is a fee-only firm that requires that you have a minimum account balance of $2 million to work with them.
You can expect the following working with Meritage Portfolio Management:
- A modern online portal you can use to learn how your portfolio is doing.
- A valuation-focused analysis of potential investments.
- Regular communication with your advisors and periodic meetings with them to discuss progress.
3) Two West Capital Advisors, LLC
Our third choice for Overland Park, Two West Capital Advisors, LLC is a great firm that has $1.17 billion in assets under management. Formed in 2010 with about 17 advisors on staff (many of whom have top certifications), they have the diverse educational and experiential backgrounds needed to provide individual clients with whatever services they might need. They work with both high net worth individuals and non-high net worth individuals, but we recommend them more for working professionals or families looking to find financial security.
They generally subscribe to modern portfolio theory, and as such will generally try to avoid timing the market short-term. Instead, they’ll focus on long-term gains and portfolio diversification for their clients. There are some occasions where they’ll recommend short-term investments, however.
Two West Capital Advisors, LLC is a fee-based firm that requires that you have $500,000 in investible assets to work with them.
You can expect the following working with Two West Capital Advisors, LLC:
- Dedication to educating their clients about the financial world.
- Clear and understandable communication from your advisors.
- A team that holds itself to high ethical standards.
4) Stepp & Rothwell, Inc.
Our fourth choice for Overland Park, Stepp & Rothwell, Inc. has been in operation in 1992 and has $565 million in assets under management. With a moderately-sized team of nine well-qualified advisors plus additional staff, the firm dedicates itself to working with you fully to provide you with a comprehensive plan and complete investment management services.
There is plan-centric, and when you start working with them you will discuss your ultimate financial goals and how you might get there, with many different factors taken into consideration. They constantly monitor the status of their clients’ portfolios and will make adjustments as needed to minimize risk.
Stepp & Rothwell, Inc. is a fee-only firm that requires that does not have a minimum asset requirement, but they do generally work with high net worth clients and it is in your best interest to check as to their fees to see if they’re a viable option for you.
You can expect the following working with Stepp & Rothwell, Inc.:
- They will be happy to meet with you via video conferencing or phone calls if you are away from the area.
- A willingness to work with current professionals under your employ or recommend ones if you are in need of other professional help.
- A team-based approach to helping clients. There will always be at least a few people at the firm who understand your current financial situation.
5) Boyer & Corporon Wealth Management, LLC
An Overland Park firm and the last one on this list, Boyer & Corporon Wealth Management, LLC, is dedicated to providing clients with peace of mind. Using a comprehensive process for financial planning, you can rely on them to not miss anything and get you towards your financial goals, no matter what they might be. They were founded in 2007 and have $459 million in assets under their management.
They generally believe in working towards long-term gains for their clients, and will heavily diversify portfolios to minimize risk.
Boyer & Corporon Wealth Management, LLC is a fee-only firm that requires that you have $1 million in investable assets to work with them.
You can expect the following working with Boyer & Corporon Wealth Management, LLC:
- Experience working with both institutional and individual clients.
- Main services include retirement planning, tax planning, insurance planning, education planning, estate planning, and philanthropic planning.
- A willingness to work with other professionals under your employ.
Given its location, there are still plenty of nearby options for Overland Park residents that are excellent choices for anyone looking for greater financial stability in their life. With the above information and a little more information gathering on your end for firms on your shortlist (we recommend phone calls, checking FINRA listings, and more), we’re certain you’ll be able to come to a confident and well-reasoned decision. We wish you the absolute best of luck in your search and future relationship with an advisor.