They say that once you end up in Alaska you never leave. So, whether you were born there or have moved from some other part of the country, it’s safe to say that you’re not going anywhere anytime soon. This type of security and stability is great, but you still need to plan for your future.
A financial advisor can help you figure out the best way to save, spend, and invest your money so that you can expand your wealth and enjoy the peace and tranquility that comes with knowing your financial situation is under control.
However, for this to happen, you need to pick the right financial advisor. There are countless to choose from, so we’ve combed through all the different options to choose the five we think are the best. Take a look to see which one can meet your needs, and then give one a call so that you can start planning your financial future today.
Alaska Financial Associates – Ketchikan
What’s unique about Alaska Financial Associates (AFA) is that they focus not only on financial health but also on overall well-being. They are one of the few firms out there that combine life coaching with financial planning, as they see financial success as just one part of the journey to a good life.
On top of this, AFA offers a wide range of investment products that will help you achieve your goals and stabilize your financial situation. If you choose to work with AFA, you can expect the following:
- Guidance on how to use your money to help you achieve your overall goals in life.
- Assistance with issues such as cash-flow, debt management, investments, insurance, taxation, retirement planning, and real estate.
- Flexibility so that you can adjust your plan for the many challenges life will throw your way.
Bright Road Wealth Management – Anchorage
Managing your finances is sometimes about more than just managing your investments, especially if you are a small business owner.
With Bright Road Wealth Management (BRWM), you can get help figuring out how you’re going to move forward with your personal investment plan, but you can also receive guidance in planning your business. For example, BRWM will help you determine the value of your business, and you can also get help figuring out how to sell or exit the company.
BRWM also offers “Advanced Planning” for those with larger portfolios. This service is designed to help you figure out the best way to maximize your personal earnings while avoiding paying unnecessary taxes.
If you run a non-profit, BRWM will help you manage your assets and investments while not overcharging you and placing an unnecessary burden on your organization.
On top of all this, you can expect the following when working with Bright Road Wealth Management:
- Low fees and high returns thanks to the use of Dimensional Fund Advisors (DFA) and other low-cost, research-based investment funds.
- High-tech financial modeling that provides valuable insight into where the market is going and where you should invest
- Quality customer service provided by a team of investors who are most interested in helping you develop a plan that fits your needs and is in line with your expectations and risk threshold.
Keyes & Associates – Fairbanks
For those living in Fairbanks or the surrounding area, Keyes & Associates is a great option when it comes to financial advisors. As a small, family-run business, Keyes & Associates boasts excellent asset performance combined with industry-leading customer service.
Their approach is based on helping you achieve your goals, and they specialize in a wide range of areas that will help you do this. The main services Keyes & Associates provides are:
- Retirement income planning
- Social security analysis
- Estate planning
- College savings
- Insurance plans
- Business planning
In addition, Keyes & Associates also does wealth management, meaning they will help you find the right areas to invest so that you can grow your portfolio and achieve more financial security. When working with Keyes & Associates, you can expect:
- Attention to your personal goals and a plan designed around what you want
- A choice between Separately Managed Account Programs, which allows you more control over your portfolio, or Wrap-Fee Mutual Fund programs, which are designed to be more hands-off and a better, longer-term solution
- Frequent adjustments that are designed to help make sure you stay on track and that make it easier for you to deal with any changes you experience.
Shilanski & Associates – Anchorage
Shilanski & Associates is a great option for those who are looking for something more than just a healthy rate of return on investment.
Of course, this is important, but the folks at Shilanski & Associates put a heavy emphasis on relationships, and this helps them deliver much better service than most of us are used to with our financial advisors.
Shilanski & Associates is focused on helping their clients develop financial literacy. They want to help you make money, but they also want you to develop good money habits that will lead to long-term financial success.
This is why they like to meet regularly with their clients – once every three to four months. This allows them to stay updated on your financial situation and also maintain the relationship.
Because of this, Shilanski & Associates is a great option for those looking for help with their personal finances. When you work with them, you can expect:
- A holistic approach to financial planning that is designed to help you get better at managing your money
- A personal, family touch. Shilanski & Associates was started by Floyd Shilanski and he continues to play an active role in running the company.
- Access to resources that will help you better understand your financial situation and make smart decisions that will result in increased wealth and financial security.
Alaska Permanent Capital Management – Anchorage
Alaska Permanent Captial Management (APCM) is a great option because of its size. There are two components to APCM: individual and institutional. This means that in addition to helping individuals such as yourself, APCM also manages assets for large organizations such as corporations, non-profits, and governments.
However, if you work with them as an individual, you will have access to the same technology and insight APCM uses with their institutional clients. This means you will have more options available to you and more opportunities to earn and expand your portfolio.
Plus, with more than $2 billion in assets, APCM is able to put your money in the right places to produce consistent and healthy returns.
But we should point out that all of this means APCM is designed for those with larger portfolios. The minimum account balance is $500,000.
When working with APCM, you can expect:
- Investment management, retirement planning, and general financial planning
- Assistance with divorce financial planning as well as deaths in the family.
- Structured fee schedules that ensure you don’t pay more than you can afford. Fees are based on your account balance and are meant to be below the industry standard.
If you’re in Alaska and in need of a financial advisor, any one of the companies we’ve reviewed is a great choice. But there is no “one size fits all” solution to financial planning. So, shop around to see who can best meet your needs, and if you’re ever dissatisfied, remember you can always change.
We hope this information has helped make one step of your financial journey easier, and we’ll keep updating as things change so that you can be sure you’re always in good hands and working towards your goals.