A metro area population of nearly 2.8 million people and close proximity to the nation’s capital make Baltimore an important center of life and commerce. However, over the years, the city has experienced all sorts of change and challenge, and the Baltimore we have today is much different than that of the past. But several major companies still thrive in the city, and a strong health sector and port ensure people can still make their fortune in and around Baltimore.
However, with success often comes the need for expert financial advice, as it’s hard to expect busy people to stay on top of the markets as well. This is where a financial advisor can help, and there are lots of options to choose from in the Baltimore area.
To save you time while searching for a financial advisor, we’ve researched the many firms in the area and created a list of the best five. Below you can find out which firms we chose as well as why we think you should consider them when seeking out financial advice.
1) 1919 Investment Counsel
Our top choice and a juggernaut in the industry, 1919 Investment Counsel is spread out over seven states, has over 100 years of history, and currently manages $11.25 billion in assets. But even divided among its branches, the firm outclasses the competition. It focuses primarily on investment advice and management, but it also offers other services.
In terms of an investment philosophy, the firm’s is preserving your wealth, but your advisor will also listen to your suggestions to come up with a tailored plan that is designed to help you get where you want to be.
1919 Investment Counsel is a fee-based firm that has a $2 million minimum asset requirement.
You can expect the following from 1919 Investment Counsel:
- Several specialty investing departments, including socially responsible and global total return investing plans.
- Excellent institutional advising services in addition to notable individual and family services.
- A global approach and a willingness to look into any strategy that might work, opening up many otherwise unknown or unavailable opportunities for clients.
2) Maryland Capital Management
Our second choice, with more than $1.03 billion in assets under management, is Maryland Capital Management. Having served clients for over 40 years and boasting the fact that it is entirely employee-owned, the firm works primarily with high-net-worth and institutional clients, and it does a wonderful job with them. They base all of their work on research and you can rest assured that the markets and the numbers won’t fool advisors at this firm.
They have a range of different investment strategies that they will use based on their clients’ needs, such as focusing on strategic income or maximum capital appreciation.
Maryland Capital Management is a fee-based firm that has a $500,000 account minimum.
You can expect the following from Maryland Capital Management:
- An investment committee that uses multiple approaches and a heavy dose of research to come to their final conclusions.
- Experienced advisors that have deep knowledge as to which strategies will work for each of their clients.
- A willingness to work with your outside advisors in order to keep your wealth secure and everyone on the same plan.
3) WBH Advisory
Our third choice is WBH Advisory, a firm founded in 1986 with over $644 million in assets under management. Mostly working with individuals, the firm primarily offers financial planning, retirement planning, and investment management services to its clients. You can expect the highest standards of independence and objective advice from its advisors.
Generally speaking, WBH Advisory has no noted investment strategy. Instead, your advisor will tailor your portfolio based on your needs and wishes, which allows for a more customizable experience. In the end, whatever you need, they should be able to help.
WBH Advisory is a fee-only firm that has no minimum account or asset requirement.
You can expect the following at WBH Advisory:
- An in-depth introduction and onboarding process followed by regular advice and assistance as needed.
- Experience working with business owners and their long-term needs.
- The ability to help people in various situations, whether they’re planning for retirement or considering having a child.
4) A.G. Campbell Advisory
A.G. Campbell Advisory, with $288 million in assets under management, is another fee-only firm that you can rely on for advice in Baltimore. Saying that they invest your money like they would their own, the firm primarily provides investment management and financial planning services for its clients.
Advisors seek the best value in their investments and prefer to take a long-term approach. They also look for asymmetries in the market and hope to take advantage of them for their clients.
A.G. Campbell Advisory is a fee-only firm that has no minimum account or asset requirement.
You can expect the following when working with A.G. Campbell Advisory:
- An educational approach to financial planning and advising that is used to impart solid behavioral foundations that can protect clients from bad or impulsive decision-making.
- Regular updates and predictions by the firm regarding client investments.
- Strong values within the advisory team. They will always be transparent and honest with clients.
5) Armstrong Dixon
With $180 million in assets under management and a larger staff than one would initially expect of a firm this size, Armstrong Dixon rounds out our list of top advisor firms in Baltimore. It specializes in providing investment advisory services, risk management services, and financial planning and advisory services.
Advisors will use both long- and short-term investments in portfolios in order to maximize returns.
Armstrong Dixon is a fee-based firm that has no minimum account or asset requirement.
You can expect the following working with Armstrong Dixon:
- The use of several types of analysis when choosing investments.
- A multi-disciplinary approach to advising clients that ensures better risk-management for clients.
- A well-qualified and certified advisory staff.
No matter how you got to where you are today, the way forward consists of careful planning, as well as wise, and sometimes bold, decision-making. But to take this approach, you will need the help of a qualified professional. One of the above firms can make all the difference, and we encourage you to look further into each of them to make sure you find the perfect partner for the future. Overall, we wish you the best of luck in growing your wealth and enjoying the city of Baltimore.