With a population of over 2.9 million people, Kansas, nicknamed the Sunflower State, produces some of the best quality wheat in the entire U.S. What’s more, it’s ranked 7th among US states when it comes to total agriculture production. It also has a large healthcare sector, and the oil, gas, and mining industries all do well in Kansas, too.
This means there are lots of successful individuals such as yourself who call Kansas home. However, to ensure you remain a successful individual, it’s wise to get some help crafting and implementing a financial plan, which calls for the services of a financial advisor.
Editor’s Note: Complete the advisor quiz below to get matched with the best advisor for you:
In Kansas, fortunately, there are many different firms ready and willing to help you. However, not all should be trusted with your future. To help you distinguish between the ones that will help and the ones that won’t, we’ve put together this list of the best five financial advisors in Kansas. Read on to find out who made the list and why.
Mariner Wealth Advisors
An SEC-registered advisory firm that has been in business since 2006, Overland Park-based Mariner Wealth Advisors has more than $6.48 billion in assets under management, making it one of the largest and most successful firms in the state. Because of this, the staff at Mariner Wealth Advisors is large and has a diverse set of skills and experience, which they will use to ensure your financial plan will help you reach your goals.
When it comes to asset management, your advisor will work to make sure your profile is sufficiently diversified. They will help you create a baseline that will produce steady income, but they will also steer you towards higher-return investments that can help you expand your overall net worth over time. However, your advisor will always take your goals into account, and they will customize your plan based on these goals.
In addition to asset management, the firm also offers retirement planning (with social security in mind), tax planning and management, estate planning, and business planning services.
Mariner Wealth Advisors is a fee-based firm that has no set any minimum account requirement to work with them. However, they charge their services based on a percentage of the assets under management.
You can expect the following working with Mariner Wealth Advisors.
- A global perspective on investment that will expose your portfolio to different market conditions and offer you more chances to achieve good returns.
- Access to advisors that deal with varying financial planning and investment management issues, expanding the knowledge base behind your financial plan and making it easier to make the right choices.
- A combination of both active and passive investment strategies to ensure both long- and short-term growth.
Meritage Portfolio Management
Also based in Overland Park, Meritage Portfolio Management is a financial planning firm that has been in business since 1991 and has more than $1.63 billion in assets under management. Typically, they offer their services mostly to high-net-worth individuals and other businesses.
In general, they base their investment advisory services on three key factors: yield, value, and growth. Also, it’s a firm that invests in major companies with large market capitalization, which means you will be required to invest a good bit of cash. But you will be doing so with the knowledge that your money is safe and will produce consistent returns.
From there, if you wish to engage in riskier investments, your advisor will help you identify good opportunities that make sense for you.
Meritage Portfolio Management is a fee-only firm that has a $2 million minimum account requirement to work with them, which makes this one of the most exclusive firms on this list.
You can expect the following working with Meritage Portfolio Management.
- A long-term approach to asset management that focuses on consistent returns with minimal risk.
- An advisory staff with vast experience in dealing with all sorts of individuals and different market conditions.
- Quick adaptability to changing financial situations and market conditions to ensure the continuity of your portfolio.
Rocky Mountain Advisers, LLC
With more than $1.44 billion in assets under its management, Rocky Mountain Advisers, LLC is located in Salina, Kansas. It specializes in investment management, meaning this is a great choice if your top concern is growing your net worth over time, not having liquidity right now.
In terms of an investment philosophy, Rocky Mountain Advisors believes in investing in businesses and not securities. They feel this reduces risk and provides a better opportunity for long-term returns. They will work hard to protect your initial principle and grow it over time, but they will, of course, take your specific situation and personal goals into account when creating your financial plan.
Rocky Mountain Advisers, LLC is a fee-based firm does not have a minimum account requirement. Instead, clients pay a maximum of 2 percent of assets under management as annual fees. If you are looking for something shorter-term, you can also schedule a consultation for an hourly fee of between $100-$250.
You can expect the following working with Rocky Mountain Advisers.
- An interactive web presence that makes it easy for you to access your account and contact your advisor.
- A long-term approach to investing that will tie up your capital in the short-term but that will also ensure growth.
- A highly-qualified staff that has the experience to help you deal with any financial problem you may be facing.
6 Meridian, LLC
Our top choice from the largest city in the state, Wichita, 6 Meridian, LLC has more than $1.42 billion in assets under its management.
They offer customized investment solutions and specialize in life transition planning, making this a great option for those who expect to go through a major change in the near future, such as sending a kid off to college, moving, or retiring. On staff, they have several certified financial planners (CFPs) and chartered financial analysts (CFAs), and other top financial advisors and wealth management professionals.
Furthermore, this firm is exceptionally good at creating risk-adjusted portfolios. This means your financial plan will be based on your risk tolerance so that you can earn money without having to worry about losing what you’ve worked so hard to get.
But this also means you will have lots of choices when it comes time to make an investment; what’s available to you, though, will depend on the risk you want to assume.
6 Meridian, LLC is a fee-based firm that has no minimum account requirement to work with them. However, there is a monthly fee of $300 per household.
You can expect the following working with 6 Meridian.
- A special focus on relationship building so that you feel you are working with a partner and a friend, not just a business associate.
- Globally-diversified portfolios to help you better manage risk and achieve the right balance in your financial life.
- Additional services such as cash flow forecasting and education cost planning.
Financial Advisory Service, Inc
A Leawood-based wealth management firm that has been in business since 1979, Financial Advisory Service, Inc is one of the oldest financial advisory firms in the state. It currently has $1.11 billion in assets under its management, and it serves individuals, pension and profit-sharing plans, charitable organizations, businesses, trusts, estates, etc.
Apart from investment management services, the firm also offers general financial planning that involves insurance reviews, death and disability financial management, retirement planning, budget planning, and estate planning.
Financial Advisory Services investment strategy is goal-oriented. They will spend considerable time with you to determine your financial goals, and then the assets they recommend to you will be based on these goals. You do not need to worry about being pushed into something you don’t want to do, and you can be confident the advice you receive is in your best interest.
Financial Advisory Services is a fee-based firm that has a $50,000 minimum account requirement to work with them,
You can expect the following working with Financial Advisory Service.
- Generalized financial services tailored to your specific financial needs and goals. Comprehensive financial planning and wealth management services are also available.
- Maximum transparency; the firm updates all their clients about even the slightest changes in their account.
- An experienced firm that knows how to handle even the most trying of economic circumstances, something that will ensure your investments stay safe no matter what’s happening in the world.
Editor’s Note: Complete the advisor quiz below to get matched with the best advisor for you:
Success is waiting for you in Kansas if you want it, but long-term prosperity requires a plan. Whether you live in Kansas City as a business owner or out in the countryside enjoying your real estate, we feel confident any of the firms on this list will help you develop and implement that plan, but we encourage you to take your time with this financial decision. You’re not just hiring an advisor but rather a partner to help you navigate the future. So, start by contacting these firms to get more information, and then carefully consider your options before making a decision. But no matter what you choose, we hope your success continues well into the financial future.