Portland’s uniqueness is known far beyond Oregon’s borders, but what might not be so well known is the fact that the city is an economic powerhouse that has been experiencing a boom in recent years. And whether you’re an entrepreneur moving to the city to start fresh, or someone who has been making the most of the recent economic activity, there are plenty of successful individuals in need of guidance here.
We recommend this guidance come in the form of a financial advisor. These professionals not only have the time and expertise to understand the markets, but they also have lots of experience working with many different clients with many different needs.
Fortunately, in Portland, there are lots of financial advisory firms you can choose from. Each one is a bit different, and not all deliver on the promises they make. So, to save you time and effort, we’ve researched the many firms in the city and come up with a list of the best. Below are our top five choices along with short descriptions of each.
1) Arnerich Massena
Our top choice for Portland, Arnerich Massena, has a notable $10.6 billion in assets under management. It primarily works with high-net-worth individuals and some endowments and organizations. A more exclusive firm than most others on our list, they provide custom wealth and investment management services for clients, guiding them towards long-term wealth.
Their main investment choices are decided by committee, and there are several teams in place to make sure nothing gets through the cracks. They use custom plans and portfolios, and mostly employ long-term strategies.
Arnerich Massena is a fee-only firm that has a $3 million minimum account requirement.
You can expect the following if you work with Arnerich Massena:
- An approach to investing that will consider alternative investments for clients, so long as they are the perfect fit.
- Experience working with organizations, corporations, and endowments.
- An advising process that leaves nothing left unsaid and that will also regularly continue with updates after you start working with them.
2) Ferguson Wellman Capital Management
Our second selection is Ferguson Wellman Capital Management, a firm with $5.15 billion in assets under management. Working tirelessly for clients since 1975, they are one of the most experienced firms on this list, and their staff shows it, with most advisors holding a top certification in one form or another. They are also a more exclusive firm that works primarily with high-net-worth individuals.
As a whole, advisors focus on long-term gains and stability for clients, and their investments are careful, disciplined, and based more on larger trends instead of market fads.
Ferguson Wellman Capital Management is a fee-only firm that has a $3 million minimum account requirement.
You can expect the following while working with Ferguson Wellman Capital Management:
- Excellent resources and education programs so that you are always informed.
- A collaborative and team-oriented approach that wants to get you and your other advisors and professionals involved.
- The use of different strategies for each client, making sure everyone has their needs met.
3) Becker Capital Management
Becker Capital Management is another longstanding firm with loads of experience, having been founded in 1976. They have $4.23 billion in assets under management, and they are another firm that mostly works with high-net-worth individuals. They are a more research-focused firm that places importance on the true value of a company or potential investment.
They are personalized in their approach, but they are also careful in their final investment recommendations. They will always take your goals and risk-tolerance into account.
Becker Capital Management is a fee-only firm that requires a $1 million minimum asset investment to open an account.
You can expect the following working with Becker Capital Management:
- Non-profit experience, making them a somewhat uncommon firm where this is concerned.
- Experience working with generational clients and generational wealth concerns.
- A focus on financial security for you and your family for years to come.
4) Northwest Capital Management
Our fourth choice is Northwest Capital Management, with $3.3 billion in assets under management. A more accessible firm that is more willing to work with everyday and upper-middle class individuals, they provide financial planning services and the expected investment management services. It should also be noted that they have an additional office in Seattle.
They care primarily about asset distribution and how it can reduce risk in your portfolio. They work with either customized plans or some core portfolio models. Your advisor’s approach will depend on your specific goals and preferences.
Northwest Capital Management is a fee-only firm that has no stated account minimum, although you will want to check the minimum fees for specific accounts.
You can expect the following working with Northwest Capital Management:
- Excellent tools and technological solutions used on your behalf, so your portfolio is never behind the curve.
- Regular communication and reports about how your assets are doing.
- A high ethical and professional standard for all advisors.
5) Sloy, Dahl & Holst
Our last choice for Portland, Sloy, Dahl, & Holst is a firm founded in 1986 that has $694 million in assets under management. They are more attuned to working with non-high-net-worth individuals, and they are far more accessible than most choices on this list. They stylize themselves as a boutique firm, and they emphasize their personalized services for clients.
Their investment strategy mainly revolves around reducing risk through diversification as well as preserving their clients’ capital.
Sloy, Dahl & Host is a fee-based firm that has no minimum account or asset requirement to work with them.
You can expect the following at Sloy, Dahl & Holst:
- A focus on the client-advisor relationship that goes beyond what most firms offer.
- Additional specialization in corporate retirement plans should a potential client require those kinds of services.
- Heavy monitoring of your accounts and regular reports to keep you informed as to the general direction of your portfolio.
No matter your background, wealth deserves to grow and you deserve to get the most out of it. We are confident one of the above financial advisory firms will be the perfect fit for you and your family, and we urge you to contact one so that you can further evaluate how the firm can help you succeed. However, no matter what path you take, we hope that you only find peace and success in the future.