San Francisco is one of richest cities in the world, and if you are reading this you are likely one of the fortunate people living in the city who might need some help managing their wealth or are simply looking for some guidance for their financial future. Either way, you will want to look for a financial advisory firm in the San Francisco area. Fortunately, there is a wealth of options, and we’re here to help.
Here are our top choices for financial advisory firms for San Francisco:
1) Hall Capital Partners
Hall Capital Partners is our top choice for San Francisco, having $36 billion in assets under management and a large staff to match when compared to other firms. They also have offices in New York and are connected to the financial world at large. Hall Capital is majority-owned by employees and take great pride in their independence from competing interests.
They will generally focus on utilizing a long-term plan and balancing risk with global opportunities and utilizing a wide variety of asset classes.
Hall Capital Partners is a fee-only firm and doesn’t technically have a minimum requirement, but they do charge a minimum annual fee of $400,000. We generally recommend only very high net worth individuals work with them.
You can expect the following working with Hall Capital Partners:
- A massive infrastructure and benefits that can come only from an organization with many resources under its management.
- Meticulous research efforts that are utilized in every decision. They have a staff of over two dozen dedicated researchers.
- Extensive experience working with very high net worth clients.
2) Baker Street Advisors
Another firm that caters to high net-worth individuals, Baker Street Advisors has $7.2 billion in assets under management. Founded in 2003, the firm’s partners and senior personnel have decades of experience each and if you work with the firm you will be working with at least one of each in order to ensure maximum.
The firm provides all of the services, investment and wealth planning that you would expect from a firm of its size and reputation and is direct in attending to you and your family’s financial needs.
Baker Street Advisors is a fee-only firm that requires a $5 account minimum.
You can expect the following working with Baker Street Advisors:
- A strategy that incorporates minimizing fees and optimizing your taxes.
- Dedication to keeping information clear for their clients to maximize transparency.
- A similar dedication to efficiency and not wasting their clients’ time.
3) Wetherby Asset Management
Wetherby Asset Management, founded in 1990 with more than 4.7 billion in assets under management, is an excellent choice if you are looking for a firm that has some of the best talent in the field working for it. They have a wide variety of certified professionals in their field, all also working to serve high net-worth individuals. Their 97 percent client retention rate speaks more than any other promise or statistic.
Wetherby is entirely privately owned and completely independent of outside influence, something they take great pride in. They have their client’s interests at the forefront of every interaction.
Wetherby Asset Management, LLC is a fee-only firm that requires a $10 million minimum account size.
You can expect the following working with Wetherby Asset Management:
- Services that are customized to the consumer’s needs and wants, ensuring an optimal experience.
- A complete look at your current status and personal financial goals and values so you get advice and portfolio management that suits you.
- A wide variety of planning and specialized advice options.
B|O|S (Bingham, Osborn, & Scarborough), with more than $3.5 billion on assets under management, is the oldest firm on this list, having been founded in 1985. They’ve survived all this time due to a commitment to personability, constant internal growth and learning, and honesty and transparency in their dealings.
The firm is also highly regarded among journals and peers and is regularly listed among the top firms in the state and San Francisco area for 2018.
B|O|S is a fee-only firm that requires $3 million in investible assets to open an account with them.
You can expect the following working with B|O|S:
- An investment approach that seeks knowledge of the markets, not individual companies.
- A data and fact-driven approach to advice tempered by a personal approach.
- A customizable investment management experience, in case you have special notes, values, or circumstances you would like accommodation for.
5) Parallel Advisors, LLC
Parallel Advisors is our choice for people who don’t have the assets required by the other firms on this list, although they have a sizable staff (25 advisors) and $1.875 billion in assets under management even without account minimums. Founded in 2006, the firm has had time to build strong client relationships and a network of experts to help you find the best opportunities for your wealth.
They use that network in an interesting way, preferring to look to third-party experts when considering options. They are also willing to work with your legal team, accountants, and whoever else might be on your financial side.
Parallel Advisors, LLC is a fee-only firm that requires a no minimum investment or account size.
You can expect the following working with Parallel Advisors, LLC:
- A long-term, relationship-focused, approach to client services and investment advice.
- The use of the best experts available when it comes to planning out your future and suggesting financial options.
- Investment and portfolio management that works primarily with determining asset allocation.
San Francisco is undisputedly one of the financial centers of the world, and there are plenty of firms to choose from in the city, enough so that it can be dizzying looking through them all. These are five of the best options, and we’re confident that one of them will be right for you. We encourage you to take your time and make sure that you do whatever research you think it will take to be comfortable with a final decision.