Washington D.C. is our nation’s capital and the home of a wide range of large industries and businesses such as clean technology and construction, not to mention the massive operation that is the U.S. government.
Because Washington D.C. is such an important economic and political hub, there is high demand for financial services, and the market has responded with tons of financial advisor firms from which you can choose.
However, with so many options, it can be challenging to know where to start, and it might take you dozens of hours to find the best financial advisor for you. So, to help you, we have taken our time to look at financial advisors in the area with the goal of making it easier for you to get help for all your financial needs.
Here are our top five choices for financial advisory firms in Washington D.C.:
Farr, Miller & Washington, LLC
Farr, Miller & Washington, LLC, founded in 1996, tops our list in terms of size; currently, it has over $1.48 billion in assets under its management. The firm has an experienced advisory staff which provides exceptional services to clients in terms of financial and investment advice.
However, the firm mostly focuses on fostering a relationship with the client by offering dedicated client services such as managing investments and providing guidance on other financial issues.
Advisors at Farr, Miller & Washington work with their clients every step of the way to understand their financial situation, goals, and the risks they are willing to take. From such information, they come up with a portfolio geared specifically towards achieving these goals.
Farr, Miller & Washington, LLC is a fee-only firm that requires a $100,000-$500,000 account minimum investment to work with them.
You can expect the following when working with Farr, Miller & Washington.
- An experienced team that is ready to deal with financial issues common to charitable organizations, state and municipal governments, foundations, and businesses.
- Counsel that helps their client stay on course during fluctuating and harsh economic times.
- A comprehensive strategy that helps clients develop an investment policy statement that consists of asset allocation ranges and best practices.
Founded in 1987, Alexandria Capital has a bit more than $991 million in assets under management. It offers financial services by maintaining its core factors for every managed account, which include tax-sensitive investing and perfect pricing.
Alexandria prefers an approach that not only offers clients custom investment solutions but also personalized guidance that meets all individual preferences and financial targets.
Alexandria Capital is a fee-based firm that requires a $1 million minimum investment to open an account.
You can expect the following working with Alexandria Capital.
- A team of tax and wealth planning specialists, managers, and exceptional portfolio analysts who have earned high grades from top business schools around the country.
- A company that offers tax preparation as one of its primary services.
- Insurance from companies with which the firm has a relationship.
- A heavy emphasis on tax planning, higher education funding, employee benefit plans analysis, insurance evaluation, and retirement planning/budgeting.
United Income, Inc
With more than $351 million in assets under management, United Income, Inc works with all sorts of individuals, charitable organizations, and pension plans with the goal of making everyone’s retirement dreams come true.
It has tried to revolutionize the traditional money management system by using updated financial technology that makes it easier for clients to invest their money in the best ways possible.
Currently, United Income has 15 advisors, all of whom are fully certified to offer retirement plan consulting services, financial planning services, and portfolio management services.
United Income, Inc is a fee-based firm that requires a $100,000 account minimum investment.
You can expect the following while working with United Income.
- A strategic technique that offers customized financial planning designed to meet its client’s specific needs and goals. Your advisor will guide you in matters ranging from claiming social security to any potential future spending requirements.
- Day-to-day management which monitors all your financial transactions.
- A sophisticated investment strategy that includes multi-factor investing and that focuses on meeting all your unique financial needs and dreams with fewer hassles.
Capital Investment Advisors
A firm founded in 1998 that has a bit more than $188 million in assets under management, Capital Investment Advisors emphasizes the importance of financial independence. Some of the services it offers include long-term care planning, retirement planning, estate and legacy planning, risk management and insurance services, etc.
It provides a financial advisory platform that tries to keep your financial house at par with the economic times while also keeping you working towards your dreams.
Capital Investment Advisors is a fee-based firm that requires a $25,000 account minimum investment.
You can expect the following from Capital Investment Advisors.
- An extensive introductory workshop for teaching new clients the ins and outs of the financial industry.
- Young professionals who work with clients in meeting their financial priorities while still maximizing their human capital life.
- An uncommon approach to financial planning. It concentrates on life planning and not money management.
Geometric Wealth Advisors, LLC
Geometric Wealth Advisors, LLC, founded in 2015, is a new advisory firm in Washington, D.C. Currently, it has $124 million in assets under management. It deals mostly with mid-career professionals looking for financial planning and portfolio management in fields such as finance, consulting, and law.
Advisors at Geometric Wealth Advisors offer practical guidance on all financial matters such as saving for education, housing decisions, estate planning strategies, saving for retirement (financial independence), insurance needs, and debt management, among others.
Geometric Wealth Advisors, LLC is a fee-only firm that has no strict asset requirement to open an account.
You can expect the following at Geometric Wealth Advisors.
- A holistic plan which integrates your income, expenses, employee benefits, liabilities, assets, tax strategy, estate planning, insurance coverage, and unique goals, all of which makes it easier to manage your finances
- A daily monitoring tool which will cover all opportunities such as rebalancing and tax loss harvesting.
- A timely, calculated approach that saves you energy and time by taking care of all your financial planning.
Washington has a wide variety of financial advisor firms to choose from, and we have picked the five we think will be able to help you the most. We recommend that you do more research based on why you’re looking for a financial firm, but these five firms are a great place to start.