As you’re about to discover, the old adage “it takes money to make money” isn’t always true. There are plenty of ways to make money online without investment, from remote work jobs to being an independent contractor, or freelancer.
There are pro’s and con’s to both, which we’ll cover in the sections that follow. Regardless which path you choose, you’ll reap the benefits of working from home. Aside from the obvious ones–no cramped cubicles or long commutes–you could be more productive and fulfilled working from home, as per a 2015 Stanford University study.
The study showed that people who work from home experience a considerable boost in productivity compared to those who work in a traditional office setting. As per the study: “Home working led to a 13% performance increase, of which 9% was from working more minutes per shift (fewer breaks and sick days) and 4% from more calls per minute (attributed to a quieter and more convenient working environment).”
First, we’ll cover how you can make money online with remote jobs. Next, we’ll dive into a few of the most popular options for someone looking to make money online with freelance jobs. Both have benefits, as you’ll see.
Make Money Online With Remote Jobs
If you’re already used to working a job and want to see how to make money online without investment–or, better still, be the one other people invest in–start with remote work. You’ll get all the perks traditional job holders have, from healthcare and a predictable wage to paid time off and camaraderie through your team. Plus, many companies on this list will invest a considerable amount into training you post-hire. The following companies represent some of the best remote work jobs opportunities out there.
- Shopify is an eCommerce company with remote specialists working all over the world. Available positions vary, from general customer support to Senior Partnerships Manager roles. As per Shopify, “Our remote specialists work from North America (Canada, US, Mexico), Europe (Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, UK), Asia (China, Hong Kong, Japan, India, Philippines, Vietnam), Australia and New Zealand.”
- Buffer is a social media management company with an all-remote team spread across dozens of countries and over 11 time zones. From unlimited time off and stock options to a free laptop and a learning stipend, Buffer is a remarkable opportunity for someone seeking a remote job.
- Cisco is a name you’ve probably heard before. A Fortune 500 global leader in IT, Cisco employees tens of thousands of people from every corner of the globe, at varying skill levels, to do everything from general customer support to various leadership roles.
- DuckDuckGo is a popular search engine that, unlike Google, doesn’t track users. Much like the other names on this list, DuckDuckGo is a popular, fast growing company with no shortage of great employee perks. They have workers all over the world, and are far from your typical stuffy office environment.
- Intuit is a business and financial software company. If you’ve ever used money management software or filed taxes online, chances are you used an Intuit product or service. And, if you have a background in a professional services like tax or accounting, this could be an especially lucrative work from home opportunity.
- Kaplan is student education company that administers over 100 different tests. Employees come from a variety of industries and backgrounds, not just education. Like the others, opportunities vary in skill level and complexity, from entry-level remote jobs to senior leadership roles.
- Mozilla is another name you’ve probably heard. And, if not, you’ve likely used their web browser, Firefox. In addition to market-competitive salaries and cash-based incentives, they offer a full stack of benefits.
- Zendesk is a leading customer service software and support system ued by more than 200,000+ organizations across the globe. Best of all, the company puts a strong emphasis on family, friends–and taking care of yourself–through sane work hours and other perks. As you can expect, they’re always hiring for customer service roles.
Make Money Online With Freelance Jobs
Independent freelancer work can be personally fulfilling and extremely lucrative, but it comes with some added responsibilities, like tax filing, bookkeeping, sales, invoice management and more. But, if you’re up to the task, freelance jobs represent some of the best ways to take control of your financial life–and of course, make money online without investment.
The following are popular outlets for freelancers looking to get started. In a perfect world, leverage your personal network to build your own brand and jump start your freelance business. But, if you’re starting from scratch, you can always dive into these marketplaces for immediate business and to get a feel for the work.
- Fiverr is one of the top freelancing websites in the world. Did you know a new gig is bought every 5 seconds on Fiverr? It’s exploded in popularity over the years, and over 25M projects have been completed since the company opened their doors. Everyone from writers and video editors to developers and voice-over artists earn a living through it.
- Upwork is another one of the top freelancing websites in the world, and is used by companies like Dropbox, Airbnb and more. Demand is high here, and clients aren’t afraid to pay high for the good quality work. As a bonus, Upwork helps keep things organized for you via their mobile app, monthly financial statements and more. It’s a top resource for both freelance workers and those seeking to hire them.
- Freelancer.com is another top global freelance marketplace. With a 95% rehire rate, most folks are happy to rehire here. With over 14M+ jobs and 24/7 support for both freelancers and job posters, it’s a great place to get your feet wet, learn what’s in demand and how to handle the work.
- 99 Designs is a great destination for designers looking to get started in freelance work. The contests are lucrative, and 99 Designs has served over 500,000 customers since opening their doors. If it’s design related, start here.
Make Money Online FAQ
One of the biggest questions people have about working from home and making money online is… loneliness. Well, if you think you’ll be alone, think again: in the United States the number of people working from home over the last 30 years has more than tripled, and people who telecommute have all sorts of jobs.
These jobs involve everything from programming and management to realty, writing, online survey taking and so much more. There’s truly a dizzying array of options available for anyone looking to work from home. In fact, now is likely the best time in all of human history to go this route.
Our recommendation? Become apart of different freelance communities–like this–and don’t be afraid to seek out mentors, help or just friends to talk to about the work you’re doing.