Saving money is not easy even at the best of times, but it doesn’t have to be this way. From getting discounts and cashback to investing, there are many apps that can help you improve your personal finance and money management skills.
Different apps can help you save money in different ways, and each can play an important role when it comes to saving money.
Some apps look for promotional codes and offers so that you pay less for items or services. By not paying the full price, you are saving the difference. Other apps allow you to grow money in an account or investment portfolio using techniques such as round up to make saving money as smooth and as easy as possible.
By taking advantage of these apps, you stand to grow your personal wealth even faster as you save money on purchases and set that money aside where it can grow.
16 Best Apps to Help You Save Money
Here are 16 of the best money-saving apps that you can download to start saving today:
- Capital One Shopping
- Peak Money
1. Capital One Shopping
Think of Capital One Shopping as an encyclopedia of offers and deals that are available right now. You can search for active promotions by store or products or even by location, where you will be able to find offers close to you.
Here, you will also find a watchlist and price drop alerts to make sure you don’t miss a deal. Signing up is easy, and you can even use your existing Google, Facebook, or Capital One account to avoid having to remember new login information while still keeping everything as secure as possible.
Capital One Shopping’s features include:
- Daily Offers and Trending Deals
- Product Search with barcodes scan when in-store or search retailers online
- Use Coupon Codes for even more savings
- Price Drop Alerts allow you to get notified when prices drop
Ibotta comes in many different variations, including smartphone apps, a website, and even a browser extension. Whichever you choose, you’ll get access to cashback offers from over 300 retailers and 500,000 locations. The app is particularly useful if you like to shop in-store. It allows you to link your credit or debit card, and your loyalty accounts for even better rewards. Since starting, they have paid over $600 million in cashback to 35 million Ibotta users.
Ibotta’s features include:
- Easily find offers online
- Use their mobile app to earn cashback when shopping in-store
- Link credit or debit card for instant cashback
- Earn a $20 welcome bonus just for using the app
- Industry-leading security to keep your data safe
Shopkick is an app that allows you to earn kicks when shopping at participating retailers. Think of kicks as points that you can convert to digital gift cards. There are six different ways to earn kicks, including walking into stores, scanning barcodes, submitting receipts, making purchases, shopping online, and even watching videos. Once you have earned enough kicks, you can easily exchange them for gift cards from many retailers and service providers, including Amazon, eBay, Target, Uber, and many others.
Shopkick features include:
- Different ways to earn kicks including scanning barcodes, watching videos, and shopping online
- Apps available for both Google Android (Plat Store) as well as Apple iOS (App Store)
- Exchange kicks for gift cards
- Available when shopping both online and in a store
- Receive notifications for opportunities such as sales
RetailMeNot is a deal finder that lets you find offers and promotions, including cashback offers from a number of stores. You can use the website or download the smartphone app to enjoy savings on the go. Searching for deals is also very easy, as everything is neatly categorized so that you can find great deals in no time at all. On the website, you can also find specialty pages for events such as Cyber Monday and Black Friday.
RetailMeNot features include:
- Smartphone apps for Android and iPhone
- Many deals to choose from
- Categorized deals
- Chrome extension to find deals everywhere
- Sign up through Facebook, Google, or Apple (optional)
Paribus is a Capital One app that can save you money after the purchase is made. It works in a simple yet effective manner, which explains how they have already managed to identify some $29 million in potential savings since they first started operating. Essentially, Paribus monitors two things – your purchases (through confirmation emails) and prices at retailers. Once it identifies a potential for a refund, you will receive an alert and help to get your money back.
Paribus features include:
- Works with over 25 retailers, including Amazon, Target, and Best Buy
- Can help you get refunds for price drops and late deliveries
- Tracks and monitors return windows
- Sign up with Google, Yahoo, Facebook., or your email address
- Owned by Capital One
Truebill offers different ways to help you save money. Once you get the app, you will need to connect all of your accounts. Here, Truebilll uses 256-bit SSL encryption to keep everything secure. Once the accounts have been linked, Truebill gets to work, helping you identify and cancel subscriptions you no longer use, get refunds, and start saving money automatically. You also get reports and summaries to help you optimize your financial life. Truebill expert negotiators ca also help you negotiate your bills down, identifying eligible discounts and promotion codes so that you pay less.
Truebill features include:
- Summaries and reports to help you better understand your finances
- Lower your bills and get refunds for internet outages
- Manage and cancel subscriptions
- Automatically save money
- 4.9 rating on Trustpilot
As the name suggests, Trim is all about trimming your expenses down, but this is not all that it offers. One of the biggest features is bill negotiation, where Trim works with many cable, internet, phone, and even medical service providers. The app also identifies subscriptions and helps you cancel them if no longer required. You can also look forward to a 4% annualized bonus on the first $2,000 held in a Trim high-yield savings account, which is insured by the FDIC up to $250,000. Trim is also able to negotiate interest rates and different charges with your bank and credit card provider to save you even more money.
Trim features include:
- Negotiate cable, internet, phone, and medical bills down
- Cancel subscriptions you no longer need or use
- Get lower APRs and refunds on unfair charges
- High-yield savings account with 4% bonus on the first $2,000
- 256-bit SSL security to keep everything safe
To learn more check out our Trim review.
8. Peak Money
Peak Money uses goal visualization to motivate you to reach your savings goals. This technique is known to act as a strong motivator, which can help you accomplish your financial goals, such as growing your emergency fund that much faster.
You can set up a peak for each of your goals and automatically get a plan recommended to you by the app. Of course, you can also change the plan to fit your own lifestyle and financial situation, setting transfers, and round-ups to reach your goal at your own pace. Peak offers an annual return of 0.5% on the money saved, paid every quarter (3 months).
Peak features include:
- Savings goals and peaks
- Customizable transfers and round-ups
- iOS app
- Track multiple goals
- 0.5% annual return on your savings
Qapital focuses on wealth-building through many excellent features designed to help you grow your savings. The app uses Goals and Rules to help you save faster while staying focused on what you’re saving for. You can also invest in their pre-built portfolios while Spending Sweet Spot can help you balance spending money and saving it. If you’re finding it hard to budget your income, you can use Payday Divvy to ensure all of your commitments are covered and catered for. To keep things fun, the app also offers Money Missions that promise to change how you think about money.
Qapital features include:
- Pre-built portfolios to help you invest your money
- Goals and Rules to supercharge how much money you save
- Payday Divvy to help you make sure financial commitments are covered
- Money Missions to learn more about money
- Spending Sweet Spot to help you balance how much money you spend or save
Chime is a mobile banking app that aims to reduce how much money you spend to carry out banking activities. There are no monthly fees and no deposit requirements. The same goes for foreign transactions and withdrawals from over 38,000 ATMs.
You can also get your pay up to 2 days earlier. Transactions are rounded up to the nearest dollar with the round-up amount automatically transferred into your savings account to make saving money that much easier. Overdrafts that don’t exceed $100 are also free.
Chime features include:
- Early pay (up top 2 days earlier)
- No hidden fees
- Automatic round-up to automatically save money
- Industry-standard security with 128-bit AES encryption
- Automatically save a percentage of your pay
Saving money is not always easy. In fact, it very rarely is. Balancing bill payments and expenses while saving money is hard, and this is the problem that Digit can help you solve and how it works is actually pretty cool. The free app uses algorithms to analyze and understand your spending over time. It is then able to suggest how much money you can realistically save without disrupting your lifestyle.
Digit features include:
- Uses algorithms to help you determine how much you can save
- Money saved is held at an FDIC-insured bank
- 256-bit encryption to keep your data safe
- Free 30-day Digit account trial
- Over $2.5 billion already saved
Twine is an app that focuses on investing and saving. It differs from other apps in one crucial way – it makes it easy to work with someone else to reach your savings goals. You can use any of the preset goals or even set up your own. Goals can be set up individually or jointly, meaning that you and your partner can both contribute to a shared goal, such as going on a vacation together. You can also grow your savings by investing the money in stocks and bonds with a simple pricing structure that starts from 25c per month for every $500 invested.
Twine features include:
- Joint savings to reach common goals faster
- Use preset goals pr create your own
- Accounts are FDIC insured up to $250,000
- Invest in stocks and bonds to grow your savings
- Investment accounts are SIPC insured up to $500,000
Varo is an online banking app that promises fewer fees and more savings. The app offers no over fees, no monthly fees, and there is no minimum balance to maintain. You can also use the provided automatic savings tools to save more money with an APY that goes as high as 2.80%. With Varo, you can get your paycheck up to 2 days earlier and use the no-fee overdraft available upon qualification.
Varo features include:
- APY (Annual Percentage Yield) rate as high as 2.80%
- Receive your paycheck up to 2 days earlier
- Instant transfers to other Varo users
- No minimum account balance
- No overdraft or monthly fees
Robinhood is something of a pioneer in commission-free investing and is a household name when it comes to investing. They offer commission-free trades and fractional sharing to help you invest in big-name stocks from as little as $1.00.
One upcoming Robinhood feature is that of Cash Management. Here, your money is held in an FDIC-insured bank, where it will earn a competitive APY with interest payable monthly. Investments, on the other hand, can be done on stocks, funds, options, gold, and crypto. This can help you to diversify your portfolio.
Robinhood features include:
- A variety of investment options
- Cash Management with an APY of 0.30%
- FDIC insured accounts
- Commission-free trades
- Fractional shares starting from $1.00
Acorns offers many different features to help you grow your money. Use Acorns Invest to start investing with your spare change (by rounding up your spending to the nearest dollar) to grow your portfolio without feeling the pinch.
You can also use Acorns Later to set up an IRA account and start saving money for the future. The app also allows you to set up a checking account with a tungsten metal debit card, starting from as little as $1.00 per month. When shopping at participating outlets, you will also earn cashback in the form of investments, making for a potentially even larger cashback amount.
Acorns features include:
- Micro-investing with fractional shares
- IRA accounts (Individual Retirement Account)
- Checking account with a Visa Debit Card
- Cashback as a stock investment
- FDIC insured account
Stash is a financial app that offers different ways to manage and grow your finances. The app allows you to set up budgets and save your goals.
You can also invest in fractional shares with thousands of stocks and ETFs (Exchange Traded Funds) with available investment options starting from under $1.00. You can also get the Stock-Back card that turns traditional cashback cards on their head by offering stock options instead of cash. There are different account options to choose from, starting from $1.00 per month.
Stash features include:
- Fractional shares with thousands of stocks and ETFs to choose from
- Saving and budgeting tools
- Each stock when shopping at participating outlets
- Receive your paycheck up to 2 days earlier
- Bank account with no hidden fees
What is the best app for saving money?
Different apps take different approaches to saving money, and different people also have different requirements and financial goals.
Because of this, there is no one best money-saving app that is going to be the best for everyone.
This is why in this article, we have recommended several different apps – so that you can find the apps that best fit your lifestyle, goals, and financial situation.
Money-saving apps can make it much easier to save
While getting discounts and offers can help you save money, it remains important to save the extra money by setting it aside in an account such as an online bank savings account or a high yield savings account. You can also invest it and the sooner you start doing that, the quicker you’ll increase your net worth.
Many investing apps are now offering micro-investing opportunities that allow you to start investing with very little money – in some cases, from under $1.00.
Even so, it is important to budget, as this will allow you to track your spending habits and make any necessary adjustments if you lose focus on your savings goal. From setting something aside for a rainy day to improving your credit score or growing your investment portfolio, goal setting is an important aspect of budgeting.
A budgeting app like YNAB (You Need A Budget) can help you organize your finances while saving more money than ever before.
To make saving money easier, start small. From saving spare change in a separate account to avoiding fees such as the monthly fee and overdraft fees, you will see your savings grow bigger and enjoy a healthier financial future.