In some ways, the other side of its Missouri sister, Kansas City, Kansas has a host of excellent reasons to live there or in the general area and can be a great place to build your wealth or raise a family. Yet whatever your reason for living there, someone of your level of success has much better things to do than worry about the small line details regarding their portfolio and finances. This is where a financial advisory firm can come in and take some of the stress away. And there are plenty in the area that are worth your time and consideration.
Yet which ones deserve your more focused attention? We actually found that your best choices were in the nearby Overland Park. Here are our top five choices for financial advisory firms for Kansas City, Kansas:
1) Mariner Wealth Advisors
Our top choice for Kansas City is the acclaimed firm Mariner Wealth Advisors, an Overland Park firm which has a huge $22 billion in assets under management and more than 20 years of experience as a firm. With the resources at their disposal, they can serve just about any type of client with any needs, and as such we recommend at least seeing what they have to offer to anyone reading this.
Their investment strategy will vary from advisor to advisor, given that there are so many of them. That being said, you will be working with an advisor that is well-suited for your needs.
Mariner Wealth Advisors is a fee-based firm that has different minimum investment requirements depending on the services you are looking for.
You can expect the following working with Mariner Wealth Advisors:
- Offices in quite a few other cities, making them a good choice if you move or travel frequently.
- Service plans designed for specific types of professionals or people in certain situations.
- Additional institutional services should you find yourself in need of them for your business, non-profit, or other group.
2) Meritage Portfolio Management
Another Overland Park firm with a sizable amount of assets under management (about $1.5 billion), Meritage Portfolio Management is a firm that’s more focused on high net worth individuals and their specific needs. They have decades of experience and can help individuals and families alike.
They offer clients a choice of several different investment strategies, which will differ in terms of risk and potential returns. You can work with your advisor to see which one will help you best reach your goals.
Meritage Portfolio Management is a fee-only firm that requires that you have a minimum account balance of $2 million to work with them.
You can expect the following working with Meritage Portfolio Management:
- A helpful and easy-to-use online platform with which you can keep track of your assets.
- They will focus on valuation when analyzing potential assets for your portfolio.
- You will receive regular updates and have periodic meetings with your advisor to make sure everything remains on track.
3) V Wealth Advisors, LLC
V Wealth Advisors, LLC is our third choice, and the firm was founded in 2009 and has about $386 million in assets under management. They work closely with their clients and have a large team of advisors ready to help so that you’ll never find yourself wanting for attention to your situation.
The firm uses a wide variety of different asset types, and they will develop a plan for you based on the information they get from you through an onboarding process.
V Wealth Advisors, LLC is a fee-based firm that requires that you have $100,000 in investible assets.
You can expect the following working with V Wealth Advisors, LLC:
- Services including family financial planning, retirement planning, investment planning, and more.
- Additional insurance-related services available should you desire them.
- A decent collection of resources to help you better understand your financial situation.
4) Stepp & Rothwell, Inc.
Our fourth choice, Stepp & Rothwell, Inc. has $565 million in assets under management and has been in business since 1992, making it an experienced and established firm. They will work carefully with you to create a comprehensive plan for your financial future.
Stepp & Rothwell, Inc. works carefully to create a plan for each client, talking and meeting with them for enough time to fully understand their financial situation. Regular monitoring of your portfolio after the fact is all part of the package.
Stepp & Rothwell, Inc. is a fee-only firm that requires that does not have a minimum asset requirement, but they do generally work with high net worth clients and it is in your best interest to check as to their fees to see if they’ll be a good fit for your financial situation.
You can expect the following working with Stepp & Rothwell, Inc.:
- A willingness to work with you remotely (via video or phone call) if you do not happen to be close to the Overland Park Area.
- They are happy to work with other professionals under your employ if needed, or even recommend some if you find yourself in need of specific help.
- They work as a team to solve client problems, and you can trust that multiple advisors are working on your portfolio and goals.
5) Keen Wealth Advisors
Our last choice is perhaps a bit of a smaller firm compared to the others listed here, but still one of note with $426 million in assets under management and experience as a group dating back to 2014. Keen Wealth Advisors is a firm that works with all types of clients (high net worth and non-high net worth). They know the importance of financial independence and will work hard to help you achieve and maintain it.
The firm will use a variety of strategies for their clients, and the approach they choose for your portfolio will depend heavily on what your current situation is and what your goals are.
Keen Wealth Advisors is a fee-based firm that does not have a minimum investment requirement, although we suggest you check their fees to make sure they are still a good fit.
You can expect the following working with Keen Wealth Advisors:
- A team dedicated to building strong relationships with their clients.
- A very large trove of interesting resources and guides to help clients.
- A great deal of experience helping clients prepare for retirement.
You don’t have to look into every firm listed above if you’re certain they won’t fit your needs, but we highly recommend that you mark the firms that you think might be a good fit and do a little more research (don’t be afraid to make a few phone calls and get a consultation). This is a process, and sometimes a difficult one, but you and your portfolio will be far better off at the end of it. We wish you the best of luck with your Kansas City life and hope you are successful with all your future financial endeavors.