There are countless ways to make money from home, from quick and easy jobs like selling stuff and doing online surveys, to more complex, albeit more lucrative options, like freelancing, stock trading, or starting your own business. These are the 10 best ways to make money from home..
1. Sell Things Online
Do you have a garage, basement, or closet full of junk you’ve been meaning to get rid of? Then this is the easiest way to make money from home. You can turn your extra items into extra income by selling them online. Here’s where to go to sell it online:
- Craigslist is one of the fastest and easiest ways to sell items to people in your area, but it offers less protection for sellers than eBay. Consider LetGo too.
- eBay is one of the largest online marketplaces. They have over 150M+ buyers browsing their site at any one time. You’ll have to work your way up to selling pricier items by earning positive profile reviews, but the work is worth it.
- Amazon is one of the most trusted online marketplaces, with 89% of buyers saying they’d purchase on Amazon before anywhere else. For you to sell on Amazon, you’ll have to register as an individual third-party seller, which comes with a selling fee, and potentially a subscription fee as well.
- Facebook Marketplace allows you to sell to people and businesses near you. You can even join local buy and sell groups, and pay or get paid through Messenger. If you’re worried about safety, you can browse profiles of everyone who contacts you to learn more about them.
2. Do Online Surveys
This is another easy option. Online survey sites will pay you to take surveys and share your opinion on a variety of topics. All from the comfort of home. Online surveys are a great way to get free gift cards too. Just keep in mind you won’t get rich doing these. Here are a few popular options to consider:
- Survey Junkie was founded in 2005 and has over 3,000,000 members. They award points for surveys which you can cash out for gift cards or cash.
- InboxDollars is another population option. Started back in 2000, they offer surveys for money, will pay you to play games, watch videos, and more.
- American Consumer Opinion sends you screening surveys monthly as well as higher-paid, full-length surveys every quarter.
- Opinion Outpost pays less for surveys than Survey Junkie or American Consumer Opinion, but they have way more survey opportunities.
3. Start Your Own Online Store
Online stores can make you hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands, or even millions of dollars. The catch? Hard, smart work. Lots of it. This won’t be as easy as the first two work-from-home options, but it’s far more lucrative.
The first step is choosing the right platform to sell your products. We recommend Shopify. They have over 1,000,000 merchants on their platform selling products of all types, and offer a 14-day free trial for new sellers. They have thousands of apps to customize your store, attractive themes, a logo maker, free stock photos and more.
Next, pick your product type, brand name and matching domain name. Your first choice might be taken or trademarked, so come up with several. Take your time because you don’t want to change these later. Then, choose your marketing strategy.
The big three are:
- SEO. This strategy is about finding keywords for products you want to sell and getting them visible on Google so they can be found. But, like I said in the beginning of this section, it takes a lot of hard, smart work–and time–to rank high enough on Google for many search terms.
- Paid marketing. This strategy is about paying for exposure on sites like Google, Facebook, Instagram, etc. You probably see these ads all the time online with the words “sponsored” or “ad” beneath the product.
- Platform marketing. This strategy is similar to paid marketing, except you’re paying for exposure on sites like Amazon, Etsy, eBay and others. Your product type will determine the best market. (i.e., if you plan to sell a consumer product, sell on Amazon. Rather sell hand-crafted goods? Try Etsy. Or, if you’re planning to buy and resell general goods, sell on eBay.)
Each of these strategies is unique, so pick just one and stick with it until you’ve had your first sale or first positive review. Cherish that moment too. It’s life changing!
One of my first Shopify stores made $22,000 in its second month, over $100,000 in its first year, and even led to a feature in Forbes. If I can do it, you can too!
4. Become a Freelancer or Consultant
You can also make money from home by offering your services as an online consultant or freelancer, using your skills to help people reach their personal or professional goals. Like selling products, this requires a lot of smart, hard work. But it can be lucrative, especially if you secure long-term contracts and retainer work.
Start by identifying:
- What are your skills? Why are they valuable?
- Who is your buyer? Who would benefit most from them?
Your expertise is just the start. What’s more important is marketing. There are countless ways to market yourself as a freelancer or consultant, including:
- Word of mouth, referrals and reputation
- Books, or articles and op-ed stories for media
- Content marketing (email, blogging, podcast, etc.)
- Media interviews (radio, television, print)
- Pro bono work, teaching, lecturing, and more
But the quickest way to get your first sale as a freelancer or consultant is through existing relationships, or active marketplaces where buyers are clustered.
- Charge by the minute or the hour taking consulting calls on Clarity.fm.
- Sell on Fiverr. They’re one of the largest freelance marketplaces in the world. Sellers mostly do short-term projects related to graphics and design, video and animation, programming, web design, writing, research and more.
- Market on Upwork. Millions of business owners post jobs on Upwork that you can submit proposals for. Pay is mostly paid out hourly or at a fixed-rate.
- Bid on Freelancer.com. Using this site you can create a portfolio profile then bid on projects from business owners across the world in real-time.
- FlexJobs allows you to browse and apply for remote and freelance jobs.
Serious about freelancing or becoming a consultant? This book is required reading:
- The Million Dollar Consultant is a New York Times bestseller that was labeled a “must read” for those beginning or seeking to grow a consulting practice by Victor H. Vroom, the John G. Searle Professor, School of Management at Yale University. The author, Alan Weiss PhD, offers step-by-step advice on how to raise money, attract clients, price, market and sell your services.
- Alan’s resources, forms and templates are priceless. Download them here.
5. Trade Stocks or Cryptocurrency
The stock market produces an annualized return of 10%, while inflation is 2.5% (and savings accounts produce an abysmal 0.06% APY, per the FDIC). This makes it a lucrative investment opportunity if you switch your outlook to the long-term.
We recommend Robinhood for all prospective traders, of both stocks and crypto.
- You pay zero commissions and no trading fees.
- Investment fees and costs are impressively low.
- Get your account approved in 60 minutes or less.
- No minimum deposit to get started (except the investment itself).
Meanwhile, trading cryptocurrency has become a popular form of trading in recent years, and virtually anybody can do it via online platforms like Robinhood. Here are a few resources for learning about and trading cryptocurrency:
- eToro provides a blueprint of other successful traders you can follow.
- Kraken offers guides for new traders on navigating cryptocurrency markets.
- Bitfinex is a broker that offers beginner, advanced and professional trading.
- Coinbase is one the most popular cryptocurrency exchanges. They broker Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Ethereum Classic, Litecoin, and many others.
6. Become An Online Tutor
One of the best parts of online tutoring is that you can turn your expertise about any subject, language, or instrument into an opportunity to make money. Apply to be a tutor on any of these reputable sites and you can earn money while setting your own schedule. These are some online tutoring sites:
- Skooli has a strict verification process but offers very high rates for tutors.
- TutorMe pays at least $16 per hour plus bonuses to qualified tutors.
- Tutor.com pays competitively and offers a Military Spouse Employment Partnership, a policy of commitment to hiring military spouses.
7. Rent Out Your Home
If you’ve got a vacation home you rarely use or even just a spare bedroom, you can take advantage of the empty space by renting it out to travelers. Check out these platforms to rent your home:
- Airbnb is the leader in short-term home rentals, offering easy access to homes of all types throughout the world. List your home for free, set your schedule, prices, and guest requirements, then host your first visitor. Airbnb offers $1M USD in property damage protection and another $1M USD in insurance against accidents with every booking.
- TripAdvisor has been a trusted source for vacation information for years. They allow you to advertise your property on all their vacation rental sites.
- Booking.com allows you to list your vacation rental on their site without having to pay any subscription costs.
8. Become A Pet Sitter
You don’t have to become a dog-walker to make money working with animals. Becoming a pet sitter allows you to earn money from home by turning your home into a pet daycare. Here are a couple of services to help you find clients:
- Rover users can earn up to $1,000 per month with their scalable platform.
- DogVacay is a mobile app that lets you set your own rates for local pet sitting.
9. Advocate For A Political Cause
Are you passionate about a political cause? There are several advocacy organizations looking for remote workers to raise support for political issues. Here are some platforms to find advocacy jobs:
- NextWave Advocacy pays grassroots advocates to perform tasks like phone and email outreach to potential voters about political causes.
- DDC Public Affairs, like NextWave, pays advocates for raising support around causes. They also offer a comprehensive benefits package for their workers.
10. Get Paid to Search Online
Most people aren’t aware of how much money they can earn from each online search they make in a day. Certain websites and plug-ins will track your searches and pay you a few cents per query. These are a few popular options:
- Swagbucks pays out points for search that can be redeemed for gift cards.
- Qmee is a Chrome plug-in that pays you to search for certain partner brands.
Our Two Cents
Whether you’ve got a spare room you can rent out or spare time to kill, there are plenty of opportunities to make money from home. If you’re willing to share your opinion, advocate for a cause, take a survey or sell goods, the opportunities are everywhere. If you’re looking for a way to supplement your income or shift entirely to remote work, any of these options would be an excellent way to get started.