We would be surprised if you are a homeowner without insurance in the state of Louisiana. While the state has some of the best food in the country and a rich cultural history, it also has made news plenty of time for the damage it has sustained from flooding, storms, and other disasters. Due to this, it can be extremely expensive to get an adequate plan, but we still know you need one. To help you, we did everything we could to find you the cheapest and most effective policy providers in the area.
Here are the five cheapest homeowners insurance providers operating in Louisiana:
The Five Cheapest Quotes:
An insurance policy on the coast is likely going to be a lot more than one more inland, and that’s only the start of the numerous factors that go into your rate. We ask that you note that these are averages and general guides, and your experience may vary.
The number listed next to each provider is the average annual rate for a standard policy.
1) State Farm: $2,771
Even though it might not be much comfort, State Farm is the cheapest provider in the state, and will be able to get you the vital insurance you need at a low cost, all the while remaining understandable and accessible. They know precisely what they are doing and have done it for millions of other customers. If this reassures you, then State Farm is worth making your shortlist.
Yet while they are cheaper and more accessible, those are the main draws. There is little else to talk about, and they don’t have many customization or discounts options. This simplicity can be great for many homeowners, but people looking for a more specialized plan will be disappointed.
You can expect the following working with State Farm:
- An online experience and quoting system that is simply one of the best in the business, giving you everything you need at your fingertips.
- Everything that comes with working with one of the largest and most experienced providers of insurance in the industry.
- Basic discounts for things such as bundling and installing standard protection measures in your home.
2) Liberty Mutual: $2,850
One of the most popular insurance companies in the country, generally taking a large share of the market in every state, Liberty Mutual can be a great choice for most homeowners if they are just looking for a good all-around provider that can keep costs low through their large array of discount options, bundling opportunities, and organizational partnerships.
The main issue some customers have with Liberty Mutual is about the claims process. Response times can be slow, and they can be liberal with rejecting claims. If you’re worried about this potential headache, steer clear of Liberty Mutual.
You can expect the following working with Liberty Mutual:
- The ability to help you get emergency repairs made should something happen to your home.
- Plenty of different customer support lines and options.
- Optional policy add-ons that can provide coverage for: water backup, valuables, and identity fraud expenses.
3) Allstate: $3,112
Allstate might be noticeably more expensive than the first two companies listed here, but they also might have a bit more to offer you and your home, often having coverage options you won’t find anywhere else. They also won’t be so expensive if you investigate all of their discount options and manage to a perfect pairing. For these reasons, we think Allstate is worth your time and that you should get a quote.
Yet while there is a lot to love about Allstate, their customer service can be a thorn in an extended hand to them. While not universally problematic, not all their agents are made equally, and some people have been left waiting a while after making a claim. They have also been known to be somewhat pushy about upgrading.
You can expect the following working with Allstate:
- A strong online and mobile presence and interface, making them more accessible than some of the less modern competitors.
- Discount options which include but are not limited to one for installing safety measures, bundling discounts, one for remaining claim-free, and a discount for your first few years with them.
- Optional coverages which include: water backup, garden and landscaping, identity theft restoration, scheduled personal property coverage, and business property.
Other Notable Louisiana Homeowners Insurance Providers
We couldn’t reliably determine an average annual rate for every company providing insurance, but there are a few other options that we wished to share with you.
While most homeowners would do best by one of the other options on this list, the USAA caters to current and former members of the United States military, and only provides insurance to them. And this focus makes them excellent, providing unparalleled service and extremely effective and affordable plans, especially if you are also interested in other insurance options.
Ultimately, we have very little bad to say about them except for the fact that they have a high bar for entry. If you qualify, we suspect you’ll get the best policy and service from them, with few caveats.
You can expect the following working with USAA:
- Service reps who are experts at working with current and former military members and their families.
- Extra benefits for those who also bank with USAA.
- Coverage that protects you from every common issue that might affect your home.
5) Louisiana Farm Bureau
In many ways, not a normal insurance company, the Louisiana Farm Bureau is actually an organization dedicated to helping the farmers in Louisiana, and members get access to a load of benefits, including homeowners insurance. While they might not have the infrastructure or advanced policy options some other companies can provide, you can depend on friendly service and a commitment to giving you the lowest price possible.
They can be a bit smaller, though, and you will need to become a member to get the option to insurance through them. That can make it a bit harder to get information, and we know some homeowners don’t have the time to jump through another hoop.
You can expect the following working with Louisiana Farm Bureau:
- A broad package of coverages under your plan.
- Coverage for trees, shrubs, and other greenery.
- Options for condos and other types of dwellings.
If you’ve been living in Louisiana for some time, you know exactly what can happen to an unprotected home and the family that lives in one. That means you also know just how important a homeowners insurance policy can be, even if the rates are among the most expensive in the country. Look at your options, make sure you have flood protection, and go ahead and get some quotes. We wish you luck in your search and have full confidence you’ll get the plan your family needs.