A state with amazing landscapes, growing industry, and an increasing number of reasons to settle down there and buy a home, South Dakota homeowners have a great thing going for them. Yet with the elements attacking their home alongside the ever-present threats of crime and fires, it would be wise to have a backup plan in the form of homeowners insurance. And fortunately, there are some excellent options in the state. To make the task easier and more affordable for you, we looked into the cheapest providers available.
Here are the three cheapest homeowners insurance providers operating in South Dakota:
The Three Cheapest Quotes:
We would like to note here that rates and experiences will vary based on your location, home, and lifestyle. We ask that you consider the following information as a general guide as opposed to a prediction.
The number listed next to each provider is the average annual rate for a standard policy.
1) Amica: $1,832
Amica is the cheapest choice on average for South Dakota homeowners, but it also is one of the best companies to work with if you want great customer service, with Amica receiving top marks across the board in that category. They care about customer satisfaction, and they’ll do what they can to make sure you get what you need.
Yet while they provide you with a great experience, it may not always be the experience you are looking for. There aren’t as many customization options as some other companies, and optional coverages might not be able to keep up as well. Keep your priorities and needs in mind.
You can expect the following working with Amica:
- Standard and platinum coverage levels, with platinum having many extra coverage and benefits.
- Plenty of different discount options to work with.
- Other types of insurance available and excellent bundling options, making Amica a great choice if you’re looking for several policies.
2) State Farm: $2,064
One of the cheapest options in most states and the same is true in South Dakota, State Farm is one of the most well-known providers in the country and has built itself on providing affordable yet simple policies. If you’re looking to just fulfill a requirement or don’t want to think too much about your policy, and have a simple home with no extraordinary needs, State Farm should be able to help you.
However, much like Amica, State Farm doesn’t have too many customization options available for their policies, and what you first see with them is roughly what you’ll wind up getting. This means that some homes simply won’t get what they need with State Farm, and will have to look elsewhere for a policy.
You can expect the following working with State Farm:
- A fantastic online quoting system to give you all the information you’ll need about your potential policy.
- Similarly, great online tools and resources to help inform you about your policy or get you the services or help you need.
- The benefits of working with one of the most stable and reliable companies in the business.
3) Farmers: $3,195
We understand Farmers might simply be too expensive for many homeowners, and given the price that’s a perfectly reasonable estimation to make. Yet for those still interested or those that can get a low quote from them, Farmers is, like Amica, great when it comes to customer service. Further still, they offer the customization options you might not find elsewhere, making them the top choice for homeowners who know what they want. If you want premium insurance, Farmers has it.
Yet not even the best of providers is without its detractors, and Farmers has a contingent of its customer base that isn’t satisfied with the coverage or service after they signed up, and others have reported rate spikes after a period of time. You deserve to know what will happen with your policy, so be careful, read everything, and ask questions.
You can expect the following working with Farmers:
- The ability to repair your damaged home with eco-friendly materials.
- Three different base packages to choose from, with customization options stemming form each of them.
- Declining deductibles and claims forgiveness for homeowners who make few to no claims.
Other Notable South Dakota Homeowners Insurance Providers
Getting an accurate quote is sometimes not possible for a company. That being said, there are still a few excellent choices that we would like you to consider. Here are two of them:
4) American Family
With operations across the country and a generally strong reputation, American Family is an insurance provider that is able to provide policies and keep satisfaction levels surprisingly high. You will also likely be able to find a low rate and enough options to cover most homes, no matter what their needs might be.
Yet while most people were happy with American Family, you might run into issues with customer service. While it’s not the worst we’ve seen, sticklers for good service will want to look elsewhere.
You can expect the following working with American Family:
- Plenty of different ways to get support or make a claim, helping you get through difficult times more easily.
- Plenty of different optional coverages to add to your policy.
- Discounts for bundling, installing home protection systems, and recently renovating your home.
An option for homeowners who want a customized policy, Nationwide is a well-known insurance provider that might (for many homeowners) be a bit more expensive than the competition, but you will get your money’s worth in return. The options are too many to list here, and Nationwide is also dedicated to making sure you make the right choices and get the right package for your home. You can trust in their reliability and their ability to handle any issue.
What you might not be able to rely on is the cost of their optional coverages, which will set you back far more than if you got similar options from competitors. We recommend taking notes and looking at all your top options holistically before signing any paperwork.
You can expect the following working with Nationwide:
- Excellent replacement coverage levels so you can rest assured you’ll always be able to rebuild.
- Excellent coverage when it comes to replacing or repairing stolen or damaged property.
- Quick claims processing and a friendly customer service team.
South Dakota homeowners insurance can be a bit expensive, especially for some families in some regions. Yet no matter where you are, you need to make sure you have a layer of protection that ensures you won’t be out of options should your home get severely damaged or destroyed. You owe it to yourself to look more into the options above, consider what you want, and get some quotes. We hope that you can make a wise choice soon and that there are no speed bumps on your path to getting an excellent policy.