Vermont is a state with its own ethic, environment, and sense of place, and that makes it the perfect home for thousands of people. And we want you to protect your home and your possessions in it, and have a way to start again should anything happen to it. Therefore, we want you to consider homeowners insurance. Vermont is one of the least expensive states to get a policy, and the peace of mind will be more than worth it. To help you along, we have compiled a list of the cheapest options for most homeowners.
Here are the three cheapest homeowners insurance providers operating in Vermont:
The Three Cheapest Quotes:
Vermont homeowners are not all the same, and a home near the city will need different considerations and coverages than one in a less developed part of the state, and that’s only one example. As such, please consider the following as a more general guide.
The number listed next to each provider is the average annual rate for a standard policy.
1) Nationwide: $714
Nationwide should be the first choice for many homeowners in Vermont, especially those that want things their way or want to be secure in the knowledge that no part of their policy will be wasteful. The coverage levels are strong, we have few complaints about their service. And for their plans, there are plenty of discounts available to keep your rate low.
Yet while there are plenty of options offered and Nationwide is by default the cheapest option on average, that won’t last very long if you decide to get their optional coverages. They are far more expensive than the equivalent offers from competitors, and you’ll want to do some comparison shopping if you think you need something extra.
You can expect the following working with Nationwide:
- A free regular review to help you make sure you get the best possible plan.
- Optional flood, earthquake, water backup, and identity theft coverages. Also available are enhanced coverages for valuables and home replacement.
- Excellent plans to help you repair or replace your damaged or stolen items.
2) State Farm: $789
A company with a massive infrastructure and maximum name recognition when it comes to insurance, State Farm has served millions of customers before you and knows exactly how to provide an affordable yet effective insurance policy. If you’re looking for something simple for your Vermont home, simply want to fulfill a requirement and move on, or don’t want to worry about customization, then State Farm should be your first choice.
Yet State Farm has corresponding limitations. They are simple, and as a result, you won’t have too many extra options or discount opportunities. If you need a more unique policy, look at Nationwide or another company.
You can expect the following working with State Farm:
- Some of the best online tools, services, and resources in the industry to provide you with any information you need. Specifically, State Farm has an excellent online quoting tool.
- A high level of financial stability and reliability.
- A wide network of agents ready to help you.
3) Liberty Mutual: $1,383
The most expensive option on average listed here, Liberty Mutual probably won’t be anyone’s first choice at a glance given they don’t do anything to truly stand out in Vermont. Yet they are one of the largest providers in the country, have more experience than most other providers, and can offer you a policy that has few real holes in it, making them a basic and trustworthy choice.
As for downsides, Liberty Mutual doesn’t have the best reputation when it comes to claims. Some are questionably rejected, and others take far too long. Don’t work with Liberty Mutual if you’re nervous about this.
You can expect the following working with Liberty Mutual:
- Optional coverages for valuables, water backup, and identity fraud expenses.
- The resources to help you get emergency repairs made quickly and easily.
- Plenty of discounts available to lower your annual rate.
Other Notable Vermont Homeowners Insurance Providers
Vermont has other excellent insurance providers that we could not reliably determine an average annual rate for. As they can be equally strong options as the above three companies for some people, we would like to note the following two:
Travelers might not be the cheapest option in Vermont, but we are certain they will have exactly what some homeowners needs. They are very flexible with their coverage options and might be able to offer you a surprisingly good quote. Furthermore, they’re stable in an often unstable industry, and can be a strong option for those of you who don’t want to worry about changes to their plan or what their coverage can offer in the future.
For all these benefits, however, there are those unhappy in general with the coverage levels and service they receive. Be careful and read more about them in your area before signing up, to make sure there aren’t any local problems.
You can expect the following working with Travelers:
- A wide variety of discount options available for homeowners to make the cost more palatable.
- The benefits of working with an extremely stable company.
- Plenty of options to work with and customization opportunities. Travelers might be the best choice if your home has unique needs.
5) Vermont Mutual Insurance Group
The Vermont Mutual Insurance Group was founded in 1828 and is still based out of Montpelier, making them a great choice if you’re looking to work with a more locally-based provider that will remain affordable and also has additional insurance policy options to work with. They don’t stand out with flashy online options or special services, but they might be able to give you the low quote you need.
Yet the company isn’t liked by everyone, and we found a stronger contingent than usual of people stating that Vermont Mutual Insurance Group did everything in their power to deny claims or run away from their responsibility. If this is a concern, we recommend you look further into the company and perhaps choose another provider that’s more well known for reliability.
You can expect the following working with Vermont Mutual Insurance:
- A home business endorsement that makes Vermont Mutual Insurance Group a great choice for entrepreneurs.
- Several different levels of coverage to choose from, depending on your needs.
- A home system protection plan that ensures that vital parts and processes of your home will get back up and running quickly after a failure.
While we’ve listed the top options here, the final decision is up to you. There are many potential factors you will need to weigh and consider, price not the least among them. No matter your final choice, however, we hope that you will be able to get the protection for your home that your family deserves. Take some time, get some quotes, and try not to get caught up in all the buzzwords. The numbers on the plan and the guarantees you’ll get are all that matters.