If you want to make a positive impact on the environment while potentially lowering your utility bill, this Arcadia Power review is for you.
Do you cringe when your utility bill hits the mailbox? As the cost of electricity rises in many areas of the country, you’re not alone.
You may have heard that you can save money on electricity by signing up for Arcadia Power, but is that true?
It depends on what you consider saving and where you live in the United States.
About Arcadia Power
Let’s start by clearing up some common misconceptions about Arcadia Power:
- Arcadia Power isn’t an energy provider. They can’t replace your electricity entirely with clean, renewable energy.
- The company allows you to invest in green energy, but you won’t receive solar panels for your house or a direct connection to a wind farm. All benefits are indirect through renewable energy sources.
- The energy coming into your home after you sign up with Arcadia Power is the same energy that you would receive through your local utility, despite signing up for the service. So, your electric bill will be the same.
- Arcadia Power allows you to subsidize wind farms via wind energy, solar panels for solar power, and other forms of renewable energy that may have a positive impact on the future.
- Despite that we still recommend you sign up for Arcadia Power.
Some of the biggest complaints against the company center on misunderstandings by consumers.
Many believe that they’re signing up for an alternative energy provider that will help them save money on power.
They’re often shocked when they realize that their energy bills increase rather than decrease. At best, you should expect no change in your bill at all.
Rather, it’s about reducing your environmental impact and carbon footprint.
So, if you think of Arcadia Power as an investment opportunity or a way to make money more than an energy provider or utility account, you won’t have any surprises.
Unless you live in a deregulated state and the company helps you find a lower rate for your energy provider, Arcadia Power cannot directly lower your electricity bill.
How Does Arcadia Power Work?
Once you sign up for Arcadia Power, nothing much should change.
You won’t have a work crew installing solar panels on your roof. You won’t have wind farm representatives knocking on your door.
The goal isn’t to generate green energy from your home directly. It’s to generate more clean energy for the national power grid so that one day most if not all of that energy may come from clean, renewable sources generated elsewhere.
The following steps will take you through the process of working with Arcadia Power.
1. Check Availability
Use the signup form on the Arcadia Power website to see what plans are available. This varies for everyone, depending on the number of wind farms and other clean renewable energy projects operating in your area.
The following information is required to check your availability:
- Zip Code
- Current utility company
2. Connect Your Energy Bill
Each consumer will have different plan options, depending on their utility provider and location.
It doesn’t hurt to see what they have to offer you, especially if you have a junk email address that you won’t mind them using for advertisements in the future.
There are three plan options that you might see offered in your area.
- Free Plan: Think of this as an opportunity to invest in green energy without increasing your energy bill. Every customer receives wind power RECs equivalent to 50% of their energy consumption. That allows you to contribute some renewable energy into the power grid without paying anything extra on your monthly energy bill.
- Premium Plan: You purchase wind power RECs equivalent to 100% of your energy consumption. You deliver more clean energy to the national power grid, but it will increase your energy bill every two cents per kWh
- Evergreen Plan: You pay your monthly utility bill plus a second bill for the clean energy you’re generating. Currently, the added rate for the evergreen plan is less than two cents per kWh. That may change, so read the terms of each offered plan carefully.
Any plan other than the free plan will result in added charges to your bill from Arcadia Power. That’s why we recommend that you view this service as an investment in the environment. Because it’s not necessarily going to save you money.
In fact, it may actually cost you a bit more.
3. Let Arcadia Power Invest For You
Arcadia Power purchases clean power from wind farms and other projects providing renewable or clean energy.
They also operate a community solar program. The company earns Renewable Energy Certificates, or RECs, for their investment in clean energy.
You need to buy just 1 kWh of renewable energy to receive a certificate.
When you become an Arcadia Power customer, they put some of those RECs in your name. Each certificate represents real energy that is delivered into the energy grid somewhere in the nation. You never know the exact source of the energy surging through your home because it all mixes together once in the grid.
Think of it as pouring orange juice and apple juice together. The juices blend together, and there is no way to determine how much apple or orange juice you consume when taking a drink. If there is more apple juice than orange juice in the mix, you’re likely to receive more apple juice.
Arcadia Power is working to increase the amount of renewable energy in the national energy grid. It’s like pouring more apple juice into the mix.
RECs simply allow you to increase the percentage of green energy introduced into the system. The more you invest in the production of renewable energy and the more people who contribute, the higher that percentage of renewable energy in the national grid will rise.
One day, it could mean that all of the energy provided to your home comes from a renewable source.
4. Put Your Utility Bill On Autopay
You authorize your power company to send your monthly bill directly to Arcadia Power. You will watch your dashboard through the Arcadia Power website to see the cost of your energy each month.
The dashboard also shows the amount of energy consumed each month and what you’re paying for that energy.
Each bill is automatically withdrawn from a credit card or bank account. Autopayment is initiated three days after they receive your power bill. Once they secure the money from your account, they pay your energy provider on your behalf.
There is a three-day grace period if you need to delay a payment, but you need to take steps before the autopay process begins. Once it starts, you can’t stop them from charging your account.
Does Arcadia Power Save You Money?
There are two ways that Arcadia Power may help lower your energy bill:
1. Finding Lower Energy Rates
If your state has deregulated electricity, you have the option to switch energy providers based on available rates. The problem is that determining rates is often difficult. Rates can also change frequently.
Arcadia Power will help by giving you price alerts for energy providers serving your area.
If you switch to a new provider based on their alerts, Arcadia Power will take a small percentage of your savings. If you don’t want to pay them a fee, you can research rates on your own.
2. Upgrading Your Home
If you want to invest in smart technology for your home, Arcadia Power may give you a small discount on select products.
When you install a smart thermostat or other high-tech solutions, you have greater control over your energy consumption. That can lead to savings on energy.
How Does Arcadia Power Make Money?
When you sign up with Arcadia Power, you will be charged $5 per month for them to match 100% of your electricity usage with clean, renewable energy.
Or if you choose to be charged by the kWh with the Basic plan, you are charged $0.15 per kWh.
Arcadia Power Pros and Cons
As with anything in life, there are pros and there are cons, let’s discuss those now:
- It costs nothing to invest in renewable energy with the free plan
- It takes five minutes or less to sign up
- If your state is deregulated, you may find a more affordable energy rate
- You may receive discounts on smart thermostats and other eco-friendly technology
- You invest in real RECs
- Your home isn’t supplied directly with renewable energy
- Marketing tactics are sometimes misleading
- Your energy bill is sent to Arcadia Power rather than to you
- Autopay is required
- Your location dictates which plans are available to you
- They upsell everything for profit
- Account cancellation may take one or more billing cycle
Is Arcadia Power Legit?
Arcadia Power is a reputable business what an A rating at the Better Business Bureau as of May 2021.
Many consumer complaints voiced against the company involve unexplained increases in energy bills.
Some consumers have complained that the cost of their energy bills increased significantly even when their energy usage decreased.
That’s likely the result of the upgraded accounts because they require you to pay for renewable energy that isn’t applied directly to your home.
You pay that increased amount regardless of your own energy consumption. Some would call Arcadia Power a scam for that reason, but others consider it investing in the future.
Is Arcadia Power Best For You?
Whether you spend a few minutes signing up for Arcadia Power depends on the following factors:
- Personal Interests: Are you concerned about the environment? Do you want to make a difference by pumping more renewable energy into the power grid?
- Budget: Can you afford to autopay your utility bill every month? If you go with an upgraded account, can you afford to pay a bit extra on each bill?
- Trust: Do you trust Arcadia Power to receive and pay your energy bills on time? Do you trust them to accurately update your dashboard with information?
We recommend that you think of this as an investment option in the environment rather than a way to lower your energy bill.
That should help you decide whether going beyond the free plan is worth your time.